Jetstream2 Allocation Supplements¶
Supplemental allocations allow you to get more SUs for a resource you currently use or access to a different resource you haven’t previously had access to. With XSEDE allocations, you could add SUs beyond your initial request. Under ACCESS, you can spend additional credits that you have requested for your allocation type.
The following text is from the RAMPS policies for ACCESS
The ACCESS Credits for the Explore, Discover, and Accelerate opportunities are awarded in two phases. The first half of the Credits are available to you upon approval of your initial request. You can request the second half when needed by submitting a supplement request accompanied by a brief Progress Report.
If you require additional credits beyond the posted Credit limit for your type of project, you will need to prepare a request for an allocation opportunity with a higher limit. To be fair to all researchers, we cannot exceed the Credit limits of a given opportunity.
For Maximize ACCESS projects, supplements are available and have no upper limit (in theory). However, supplement requests for Maximize ACCESS projects are subject to resource availability and Resource Provider review and approval.
Additional information about supplements is available from the Managing allocations: overview page.
Supplements and User Access
It’s important to note that when you add a resource via a supplement that you have not previously had, users on your allocation are not automatically enabled for it. To enable users for a new resource like Jetstream2, you may need to go to your Manage Users page and select the appropriate project.
It can take up to 4 hours for any users added to an allocation to become active.
Supplements vs Extensions
Supplements only add SUs/storage. If you need more time on your allocation, you need to pursue a renewal (preferred) or extension.
Instructions for requesting a supplements¶
- Go to the Manage Allocations page
- This will require you to authenticate to ACCESS if you have not already
- Find your allocation. Under the Action menu for your allocation, select “Supplement”
- Note: If your allocation is going to expire in 30 days or less, you will not see the Supplement option. You should see the Extension option, though. Choose a 3 month extension and once it’s approved, the supplement button should appear.
- Select the appropriate Jetstream2 resources(s) from the list.
- Once you have selected the resources you need, you’ll fill in the SUs needed and any comments.
- For storage requests, you’ll fill in the value in gigabytes - e.g. 1000gb = 1TB.
- For the number of SUs you’ll need. The Virtual Machine Sizes and Configurations page can help you estimage VM sizes needed and SUs that will consume.
- For more information about the resources, please see the Jetstream2 Resources page
- You will have to include a PDF “Progress Report” – basically a paragraph or two on the need for the storage or SU request.
- We do like to see any publications that have been published or submitted during your allocation period as part of this report.
- Any other milestones or achievements would also be welcomed in the progress report along with user or job counts if it’s a science gateway resource.
- After you have added that, you may submit the request.
Requests are typically reviewed within 1 to 2 business days. You’ll receive notification from ACCESS Allocations on the status of your request once it has been reviewed by all service providers on the request.